We are looking for a Senior Designer to join us at a really exciting time. You’ll be delivering inspirational designs that support the values of the category vision and ambition. You'll be shaping our own brand ranges across a wealth of different categories- from toys and gifts, to outdoor living.
As the Senior Designer you will manage relationships with product development and the design teams behind the suppliers to create original, exclusive product for our customers.
You will be a manager and a mentor to junior members of the team, owning your category and developing others. An experienced eye for delivering key seasonal trends will be second nature ensuring your ranges are full of newness reflecting all brands within the Sainsbury’s Group. With a skilled hand in Photoshop and Illustrator you will be capable of delivering innovative and commercial product for a broad range of customer types.
As well as being a good communicator capable of representing the team in front of key Stakeholders, you’ll also confidently manage the critical path ensuring deadlines are always met.
What you need to do:
- Manage the delivery of the design strategy and our Non-Food Divisional Objectives.
- Design commercial and competitive product ranges. Be aware of competitors and demonstrate awareness of this through design.
- Be a product expert. Follow the development of the product from concept design to launch, liaising with PD teams, Product Technologists and Buyers.
- Ensure you identify new product opportunities and innovation with quality and cost in mind, while adhering to the critical path.
- Adhere to safety, quality and legal requirements.
- Set quality standards through continually benchmarking and monitoring performance of new product developments in the marketplace against our competitors.
- Be accountable for your team and to act as a coach and leader, sharing innovation and product trends.
- Manage, motivate and lead your team, regularly assessing individuals’ performance and giving feedback where appropriate.
- Have a sound knowledge of market share and analysis of market data to generate a clear product strategy.
- Treat your area of design with integrity and build relationships with key suppliers and stakeholders.
- Identify new product growth opportunities.
- Lead and show leadership values.
- Understand our customer. Design with the customer at the heart of what we do. Follow and engage with customer style preferences and accurately identify product for each customer type.
- Visit trade fairs, comp shops, suppliers and identify areas to visit for inspiration.
- Be accountable for adhering to the critical path and meeting deadlines.
- Manage freelance support when required.
- Maximise PR for area ensuring key trends and key items are available.
- Be available to travel both nationally and internationally where required.
What you need to know and show:
- Recent relevant design experience in a comparable product design and development role.
- Knowledge of brand management and a track record of delivering creativity with proven commercial results.
- Relevant technical experience for given product range/ extensive knowledge of manufacturing processes and working with product development teams.
- Able to influence and communicate successfully across diverse audience.
- Relationship management and time management skills are critical.
- Experience of team management.
- Commercial awareness and proven creative ability.
- Strong planning and executing skills.
- Demonstrates a passion for the Sainsbury’s brand and clear focus on the customer.
- Computer literate with the ability to use Photoshop and Illustrator to a high standard.
- Up to date knowledge of retail and consumer trends.
- Lead a team, be an entrepreneur, build relationships with design teams and suppliers, own your category.
- Share success and help others grow.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.