Lighting Technical Directors are responsible for the final 3D scene assembly, lighting and rendering of elements required to complete visual effects shots for high-end photo-realistic VFX films.
- CG scene assembly including the correct assets from applicable departments.
- Lighting shots as briefed by the Visual Effects/CG Supervisor or Sequence Lead.
- Working closely with CG Supervisors to determine the best approach to solving CG challenges and developing the final look.
- Developing shots in collaboration with the shot Compositor.
- Rendering non-lighting passes as required by the shot Compositor.
- Creating lighting set ups and/or working with current set ups.
- Creating efficient rendering set ups in order to optimise render farm usage.
- Scrutinising the colours and directions of all light sources in the real-world scene and replicating them in CG.
- Staying on schedule and meeting set deadlines while maintaining the highest levels of quality.
- Ongoing communication with Production and leads regarding schedules and deadlines.
- Other duties as required including wrangling assets or elements of a shot from another department to ensure shots are completed to schedule.
- Previous experience with shot look development.
- A good understanding of colour-space.
- A strong knowledge of lighting techniques.
- A good knowledge of Nuke or similar compositing package.
- Excellent organisation, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Creative problem solving and attention to detail.
- Able to work well under pressure and meet deadlines while maintaining high quality results.
- Able to work successfully as part of a team as well as independently.
- Reliable, with good time keeping and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Flexible and adaptable with the ability to work within a pre-set workflow or pipeline but also have the creativity and problem solving skills to work around issues.
- A thorough knowledge of Maya.
- Extensive knowledge of either Renderman, Arnold or similar production renderer.
- Basic knowledge of physically plausible shading techniques.
- Basic knowledge of Python and/or Mel scripting.
- A strong understanding of Linux/Unix based operating systems.
- Experience with digital paint software such as Photoshop and/or Mari.
- Experience working with effects elements and volume rendering.
- Knowledge and experience in other render packages.
- Experience with realtime-rendering packages.
- Good knowledge of other disciplines within VFX including simulation, Modeling and UV mapping, Texturing and Camera Tracking.
Want more Lighting TD jobs?
Want to find more 3D Artist jobs, Lighting Designer jobs, 3D Designer jobs, CG Renderer jobs, Lighting Designer jobs, Lighting Director jobs, Lighting Supervisor jobs, Lighting TD jobs, Renderer jobs? Then make sure you take a look at our full listing of jobs on our jobs board or browse through our jobs by job title or by company.
Join our Community
To keep up to date with any jobs that come on the site you can register here. By registering you can build your own super stylish profile, connect with colleagues and companies and keep up with what is happening in the industry.